When Test Execution phase starts everyone from developers to management team are more interested in defects. So QA or Test Lead needs to send daily defect status report to showcase testing progress. This is one of the important Testing artifact that testing team shares.
In this article we will briefly see how we can prepare effective defect status report that will give current status of development to all the stakeholders.
As Defect status is shared with larger audience, test lead needs to display it in presentable manner and if status is need to be sent to Client on daily or weekly basis, QA Lead has to be more careful while sharing the Defect Status Report.
This article we will take you through on how to write defect status mail, what to include in defect report and Sample defect report is also attached that can be used for any testing project with minor changes if required.
Drafting Defect Status Mail
- TO : Status should be sent to Project Manager, Architect and All leads like, Development Lead, Database lead or any other team is working in project. Sometimes Defect Status is also share with Client, in that case intended Client names should be added in TO field.
- CC : You can keep rest team members in CC. If you have distribution list team wise, its is good practice to share report with whole team.
- Subject : of any mail should be more precise and clear to receivers.
- For eg. : <Project Name>_Testing Status Report – <Date>
- Airline Ticket Booking System_Testing Status Report : 02/23/2017
What to include in Defect Status Report Mail
Mail Body :
Keep it short and provide a snapshot of report summary. Detailed Defect Status, you can send as an attachment or upload on shared drive and share the link. You can also provide the link of your Test Cases.
Also highlight the issues / achievements in bullet points.
Defects Summary Snapshots
Tables, Diagrams catches instant attention than words. So using Pivot table, try to summarize your defects by Status or Priority or Severity as per project demands. You can check sample below
If your manager asks or your client demands, you will have to share Test Execution Report as well. But this is optional when you are sending Defects Status. Just for additional info to provide, you can include Test Execution Summary snapshot as below:
Defects are logged and tracked in Defect Management tools like HP ALM, Test Director, IBM’s Rational Team Concert etc.. You can export defects in excel file from these tools , format it well and can attach that report in mail. Below columns should be included in Defect Status Report from tool.
Sample Defect Report with Summary Tables :
Please find the attached Sample Defect Status Report in excel. Pivot Table is already created for Defects Summary by Status and Severity. You can just update Detailed defect report with your actual defects and refresh Summary tables on Summary sheet to get your data. Download