Business Intelligence or BI has become integral part of every organization. Business Intelligence mainly refers to the information that is available and processed for the organization to take decisions. Most of the time the BI information is presented to higher management in the form of “Report”. So its very crucial to get these report right and for that we need to have thorough testing of reports. In this article we will take you through the few scenarios of report testing.
What are Reports:
Report is nothing but display of specific information in a particular manner. Reports are generated for specific purpose. Here we are talking about s/w reports generated by querying a Database or DWH directly or generated through an application.
Process of reports Testing:
- Requirement Understanding : QA needs to understand the Report requirements like What the particular report is for. What is Data Source for the Report. What are the conditions for the report. Understand the Layouts or design for reports
- Understand Data Source: In this QA needs to understand backend for the Reports. In includes understanding Database , Schemas and Data Structure.
- Reports Test Plan : Define the scope for reports testing. Mention clearly what is out of Scope. Mention Assumptions , preconditions in details. List out high level scenarios for report testing.
- Write down all the Test cases in detail and prepare Test Data wherever required.
- Execution , Updating of results and Defects reporting.
Testing Scenarios for reports Testing:
Layout/ Design Testing:
- Verify the Report layout if its as per standard.
- Verify if Title of report, Logo is correct.
- Verify if Header and Footer are correct and displayed on all the pages.
- Verify the numbering on pages are in sequence.
- Verify the Font, Font Size and pattern, alignment of texts and numbers are correct.
- Verify if embedded images or docs in reports are visible enough and open correctly.
- Verify if links provided in reports are correct and open to right page.
- If report has tables, then check if data is displayed proper format, rightly aligned and Column headings are correct.
- If reports have Graphs, check if its not broken up into pages, are visible enough and have headings.
- Verify if the dates displayed on the reports are in same predefined format.
- Verify if Report creation date, Author, Reviewer, Approver are displayed correctly.
- Verify if Index table contents like headings and page # are correct and points to right page of details.
- In case of BI reports, verify the number of records displayed are correct and no records are missing.
- Verify Data Integrity. i.e. correct data is displayed on the report. This QA can check by querying the DB. We can use Beyond Compare tool for comparing the reports. Check below screenshot. Left excel report is generated from Application and Right report is the result of logic query and exported to excel.s
- Beyond Compare tool compares two excel sheets and displays Matching and Unmatched records.
- Verify if all the calculations on reports are correct (for eg, Total, Avaerage, Max, Min)
- If report have Summary and Details Tabs, verify if the data is matching and so all the calculations.
- Verify if data satisfy the filter conditions ( for. Eg. Date Range, IDs etc..) correctly
- Verify if all the graphs are drawn correctly with data.
- Check how much time report takes to generate and its not exceeding time given in requirement.
- Verify how much time it takes to download.
- Verify if it takes reasonable time to export in supported format.
Random Check :
- Verify if report can be downloaded and saved.
- Verify if report can be exported to all supporting formats and opens correctly in all formats like doc, excel.
- Verify if reports is printed correctly. In case of colored reports, all colors should match with the one in soft copy.
- Verify if report can be sent as an attachment in and opens correctly.